We may not be able to control stress, but we can manage it.
Here are some stress management tips that may help you feel better, and less stressed, every day:
- Accept that there are events that you cannot control.
- Keep a positive attitude; rather than defaulting to negatives (”Nothing goes right for me,”or ”Bad things always happen to me”), give yourself positive messages (”I’m doing my best,” or ”I’ll ask for help”).
- Halt stress in its tracks; if you feel overwhelmed, take a walk or drive in the slow lane to avoid getting angry at other drivers.
- Manage your time. Give yourself time to get things done; set your watch so you have more time to prepare for an event.
- Do things that are pleasurable, like reading or gardening.
- Take 15-20 minutes every day to sit quietly and reflect. Learn and practice relaxation techniques like yoga or deep breathing.
- Exercise regularly by bicycling, walking, hiking, jogging, or working out at the gym. Your body can fight stress better when it is fit.
- Avoid alcohol and recreational drugs. And don’t smoke.
- Eat healthy, well-balanced meals.
- Get enough rest and sleep. Your body needs time to recover from stressful events.
- Seek out social support.